At Cubic, we are taking steps to protect the environment while supporting the long-term growth of the company. We aim to align, measure, and improve our business with sustainable practices that reduce our impact on the environment, and help preserve our natural resources.
Across our global enterprise we are implementing our commitment to being an ecologically responsible company. This includes ISO 14001 Certifications for certain facilities in the United Kingdom and Germany, while pursuing the same credentials for other Cubic facilities.
The foundation of our ecological stewardship is based on conservation, commerce, and community.
Our business conduct supports the preservation and conservation of natural resources. We are managing the impact of our business operations on the environment by continually seeking new ways to reduce consumption, prevent pollution, and eliminate waste generated at our sites.
- Energy use is one of the largest environmental impacts of our business. That is why our energy conservation efforts include a wide range of initiatives from major projects such as replacing heating and air conditioning units with energy efficient models to simple steps such as turning off lights in rooms that are not in use.
- Reducing the waste generated from business operation is another key initiative for us. Our corporate offices in San Diego, California have a comingled recycling program and work with their waste hauler to continuously increase the types and quantities of materials that can be recycled.
- A Go Paperless initiative, launched in 2010 by Cubic’s defense segment, Cubic Defense Applications, and the Corporate office, has not only decreased paper consumption but also increased the efficiency of business processes by reducing cycle time.
Cubic strives to provide systems and services that meet the full scope of our customer needs. This includes consideration of the environmental impact of our decisions—from purchasing to production and delivery—that will provide benefits to our customers and foster our growth.
- Consistent with the environmental responsibilities and values held by our customers, we aim to measure and improve our performance by reducing the environmental impact related to the products and services we provide. This includes using Energy Star-rated computers, wireless technology to reduce paper use, and reducing size, weight and power needs of our products to improve fuel efficiency.
- At Cubic, we promote a culture of accountability as a matter of everyday business. That means all employees are expected to conduct business according to applicable regulations and requirements.
Cubic supports healthy communities where its employees live and work. Cubic recognizes the positive role it can play in the social environment by supporting local organizations and encouraging employee participation.
- In 2011, employees at Cubic’s defense segment, Cubic Defense Applications, received sustainability training which introduced them to the Sustainability program, including ways to support it.
- Since its founding in 1951, Cubic has helped make a difference in the local community by supporting a wide range of nonprofit organizations whose purpose and values are aligned with corporate interests and employee values. This support has included volunteer activities, financial donations, and "in-kind" gifts. Cubic has an especially strong commitment to organizations that promote education, health care, and human services.
Cubic’s environmental performance is managed at a business segment level. We will post our sustainability reports to this web page on an annual basis.
2012 Sustainability Report
Cubic’s transportation segment, Cubic Transportation Systems, has received the following ISO certifications which demonstrate our ability to address various aspects of environmental management:
- ISO 14001:2004 - United Kingdom
- ISO 14001:2004 - Germany
In 2011, Cubic received the City of San Diego Environmental Services Department Director’s Recycling award for diverting more than 160 tons of waste from San Diego landfills to recycling facilities.
In December of 2011, Cubic received a Waste Reduction Award from the California Department of Resource Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) for the company's outstanding recycling efforts in San Diego.