Our pursuit of ecological stewardship is based on a three-pronged approach that includes conservation, commerce, and community.
We conduct our business operations with an underlying focus on preserving and conserving our natural resources, continually seeking innovative ways to reduce consumption, prevent pollution, and eliminate waste generated at our sites.
- Energy use is one of the largest environmental impacts of our business. Our energy conservation efforts include a wide range of initiatives, from major projects such as replacing heating and air conditioning units with energy efficient models to simple steps, such as turning off lights when not in use.
- Reducing the waste generated from our business operation is an ongoing pursuit. Our corporate offices in San Diego have implemented a comingled recycling program, where team members work with their waste hauler to continuously increase the types and quantities of materials that are recycled.
- Our Go Paperless initiative, launched in 2010, has decreased paper consumption while increasing the efficiency of business processes by reducing cycle time.
We continually evaluate the environmental impact of our business decisions—from purchasing to production and delivery—assessing whether they provide benefits to our customers while fostering our growth.
- We strive to measure and improve our performance by reducing the environmental impact related to the products and services we provide. This includes using Energy Star-rated computers, wireless technology to reduce paper use, and reducing size, weight and power needs of our products to improve fuel efficiency.
- We promote a corporate culture of accountability, requiring all employers to conduct business according to applicable regulations and requirements.
We support healthy activities and lifestyles, recognizing the positive role it can play for our team members and the communities where they live and work.
- In 2011, employees at our defense segment, Cubic Defense Applications, received sustainability training which introduced them to the Sustainability program, including ways to support it.
- Since our founding in 1951, we have continually supported a wide range of nonprofit organizations whose purpose and values are aligned with our values, including organizations that promote education, health care and human services. Our support has included volunteer activities, financial donations, and "in-kind" gifts.
Supply Chain Transparency
We are actively engaged with our suppliers and partners to ensure a transparent and compliant supply chain. From the materials we buy to the labor used to produce them, we are proactive in being a socially responsible corporate citizen.
We use tin, tantalum, tungsten, and gold in the manufacture of our products, which are designated “conflict minerals” when derived from the Democratic Republic of the Congo or surrounding countries identified as the “conflict region” by the U.S. Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (“Dodd-Frank”). We comply with all elements of Dodd-Frank, making the appropriate disclosures each year related to our use of these metals in our products.
We do not source these metals directly. As such, we rely on the representations of our suppliers to determine and evaluate their origin.
The Conflict Minerals Report outlines Cubic’s reasonable country of origin inquiry and diligence process.
We maintain a regular dialogue with our suppliers during which we address ethical labor practices. In accordance with the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act, we verify the safe and legal labor practices of our suppliers through announced, on-site inspections, employing a variety of tools to monitor and evaluate supplier performance.
We inspect and monitor all goods that we purchase for use in our products, training our purchasing department personnel on illegal labor practices such as slavery and human trafficking to ensure everything we purchase is produced in adherence with the most ethical labor practices. Finally, we maintain internal accountability standards that every employee and contractor must meet.
United Kingdom Disclosures
Cubic takes its disclosure obligations very seriously. In accordance with applicable UK law, we have prepared two disclosures.